The history of Mac & Cheese
Mac and cheese is a classic dish that has been around for centuries. It is believed to have originated in Italy, and was brought to the United States by immigrants. Mac and cheese became popular in the United States during the Great Depression, as it was a cheap and easy meal to make. Today, mac and cheese is a beloved comfort food enjoyed by people of all ages. There are many different ways to make mac and cheese, but the most important ingredient is always cheese
What kind of cheese to add?
Mac and Cheese Secrets
secret ingredients make this dish extra creamy and delicious. Trust us, your family and friends will be begging for seconds!
Here are our top tips for making the perfect mac and cheese:
1. Use high quality cheese – This is key for getting that rich, cheesy flavor. Be sure to use freshly grated cheese for the best results.
2. Cook the pasta al dente – This will help prevent the mac and cheese from becoming mushy.
3. Use a roux to thicken the sauce – A roux is a mixture of flour and butter that’s used to thicken sauces. It’s what gives our mac and cheese its ultra creamy texture.
4. Don’t be afraid to experiment – Try using different types of cheese or adding in some extra ingredients like bacon or roasted vegetables.
-1 lb. macaroni noodles
-1 cup milk
-4 tablespoons butter
-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
-1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
2. Cook macaroni noodles in boiling water for 6 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. In a saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until just simmering.
4. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and continue to stir for 1-2 minutes, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
5. Add hot milk to the butter and flour mixture, whisking constantly until mixture is thickened and smooth.
6. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheddar cheese, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and dry mustard (if desired).
7. Pour cheese sauce over cooked macaroni noodles and mix until well combined. Spread into prepared baking dish.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
This homemade Mac and cheese recipe is easier than you think, and way better than the boxed stuff! Made with just a few simple ingredients, this dish comes together in no time at all. Be sure to use sharp cheddar cheese for the best flavor. And if you like a little bit of a kick, add in some cayenne pepper.